Senior Internal Auditor
The Senior Internal Auditor, as a member of the Global Internal Audit (GIA) team, supports in providing independent and objective assurance to Bupa senior management and audit committees (local, regional, and group) on the effectiveness of Bupa’s risk management and control environment.
This individual will have accountability for:
- Assisting Bupa in achieving its strategic goals by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the evaluation and improvement of these processes.
- Undertaking special project work, or line responsibilities in emergencies, as agreed by the Chief Internal Auditor, Europe LatAm (ELA) Internal Audit Director, and BGLA Head of Internal Audit.
- Providing an internal consultancy service that may be used by Bupa management, particularly in the areas of specialist knowledge.
- Managing relationships with internal and external stakeholders on behalf of Internal Audit.
- Preparing committee papers as required.
- Providing technically credible audit coverage in line with Global Internal Audit Methodology.
- Supporting and coordinating assurance activities across the region through the use of Global resources or outsourced providers.
As a senior internal auditor within GIA, this role will have accountability for producing and overseeing work that challenges senior management to make continual improvements to the effectiveness of governance, risk management and internal controls. Working collaboratively with peers and as a team, supporting to build the internal audit function into a world class function.
- Overseeing all activities of assigned audits, and teams assigned to these audits.
- Supporting in managing the strategic audit planning process for all processes within BGLA, and periodic risk assessments.
- Understanding and keeping abreast of regulations (changes or new) in the Latin America market and communicating to Head of Audit providing guidance on how to best address them.
- Overseeing delivery of the internal audit plan, building trust with key stakeholders by mobilizing the right resources and ensuring consistent quality is delivered by the team assigned to the audits. This includes reviewing project plans and guiding the team in their implementation as required.
- Collaborating with the Audit Director, Head of Audit and Operations with respect to the collection and analysis of data for both, continuous auditing purposes and planning insights, for reporting to key stakeholders (including the Bupa Audit Committee).
- Communicating and keeping the Head of Audit aware of any significant developments throughout the audit process and stakeholder engagement.
- Responsible for the preparation of reporting on Internal Audit activities to the respective audit committee and key stakeholders, e.g. local leadership team and Executive Risk Committee (as appropriate).
- Support the foundations of service quality – be professional and consistent.
- Role model quality behaviours in compliance with the Global Internal Audit methodology to ensure all work undertaken is to a high standard.
- Contribute to continuous improvement initiatives with respect to the Global Internal Audit methodology in cooperation and conjunction with the Internal Audit Leadership Team.
- Develop and promote strategic initiatives to address Global team priorities and extend leading practices across teams.
- Identify barriers to change when implementing initiatives and find ways to reduce them.
- Take responsibility for understanding of risk, independence, objectivity and how compliance with our methodology and Code underpins all that we do in a commercially sensible manner.
- Connect with key stakeholders, understand their business strategy and the impact on assurance planning and activities. Maintain an open and proactive communication whilst leveraging diverse ideas and perspectives from across the global team to provide relevant insight and knowledge.
- Serve the needs of key stakeholders by acting with a global mindset in line with Bupa’s purpose.
- Balance multiple priorities by considering importance, urgency and impact on key relationships and delivery of high-quality outcomes.
- Promote Bupa’s values, inclusive leadership, teaming and engagement with the community, demonstrating model on a day to day basis, and supporting a change in behaviours that are unhelpful.
- Take personal responsibility for making, communicating and implementing difficult decisions as and when required.
- Work effectively with multiple teams in different contexts and environments.
- When leading audits, engage team members assigned to the audits through open communication and recognition of achievements, and encourage active sharing of ideas and opinions.
- Support an enduring team spirit that encourages collaboration and achievement of immediate and long-term goals.
- Identify gaps in the team’s knowledge, initiate strategies to fill them, and keep teams abreast of new methodologies, tools and technologies providing suggestions for their application.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum 5 - 7 years’ internal audit/insurance/financial services experience of which at least 3 years in leading audit teams (background in Big 4 desirable).
- Qualification in Accounting or Internal Auditing.
- Sound knowledge of risk management and audit principles and an understanding of audit philosophy, methods and techniques.
- Significant and diverse internal audit experience.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills.
- Demonstrable experience of working independently and in a matrix environment.
- Strong communication, influencing skills and reporting writing skills.
- Strong business acumen and commercial awareness.
- Demonstrable experience of 1) the Insurance industry (preferably Healthcare Insurance) and/or Financial Services
- Strong interest in and good understanding of Bupa and its various activities and businesses.
- Fluent Spanish and English (spoken and written) is essential for this position. Portuguese preferred.