This Medical Underwriter is a diverse and highly skilled technical and investigative role. The role holder is responsible for
- making decisions on Underwriting using clinical and medical risk knowledge, and resolving all underwriting queries to the customer’s complete satisfaction, and
- ensuring all referrals for medical non disclosure receive an appropriate level of scrutiny.
This will be carried out to ensure maximum risk protection.
The role holder’s individual performance will be a key contribution to the department achieving all targets for quality, productivity, compliance and regulation. They will put the customer at the centre of everything they do and using their underwriting and non-disclosure knowledge to put forward ideas for the continual improvement of the customer experience.
End to end ownership for the resolution of all customer underwriting and medical non disclosure cases. Case manage all cases through to resolution.
Understand and assess the medical risks associated with medical conditions and the range of potential treatments and their costs.
- Ensure that all new applications for membership are underwritten in a consistent and timely manner and that they are processed within the agreed Service Level.
Use medical risk assessment techniques and knowledge to make decisions on the level of potential medical risk.
- Balance customer needs with commercial considerations as a core part of the underwriting decision making.
- Take responsibility for working collectively with other areas (eg Sales) to achieve the best outcome for the customer.
- Act as an expert point of reference to other areas of the business within Bupa Global in relation to underwriting and medical non disclosure.
- Pro-actively contact medical/health practitioners, members, providers, partners and intermediaries in the most appropriate way in order to gain sufficient information to make a decision.
Accurately maintain and update customer records on the customer management system. Ensure that records are accurately updated whenever a customer makes contact.
Record full and robust case investigation information and decision-making rationale and adhere to defined referral, escalation and decision-making standards.
Comply with all regulatory and governance requirements including HKIA and Treating Customers Fairly.
Achieve all targets for contact handling, turnaround times and quality
- Participate in regular 121s and team meetings with your Manager.
- Support new team members and act as a role model for the team demonstrating outstanding personal behaviours and performance.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement process by challenging existing process and contributing ideas for improvement.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of Bupa Global products, policies and systems, and keep up to date with any policy changes that have an effect on medical risk.
The Ideal Candidate
- Background in the global health insurance market, or relevant transferable skills and knowledge from other financial services industries such as Life Insurance, Retail, Commercial or Investment Banking and Wealth Management.
- Sound medical knowledge, gained through internal training and experience and/or previous medical background.
- Experience of medical underwriting, risk assessment or claims management and decision-making within the healthcare sector or protection insurance arena.
- Previous experience in the delivery of customer service within a contact centre setting, coupled with experience of case managing customer queries thorough to resolution
- A track record of achieving and exceeding productivity and quality targets in a high performing team environment
- Highly customer focussed, considering impact on customers and business and responding promptly and co-operatively to internal and external customers balancing decisions with the needs of the customer and of the business.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills are required with emphasis on achieving results and successful outcomes.
- An ability to speak a second language would be an advantage
About the Company
We are a health insurer and provider. With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives.
Here you’ll be welcomed. We champion diversity and we understand the importance of our people representing the communities and customers we serve. You’ll find an inclusive environment where you can be yourself and where everyone is driven by the same purpose – helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
Bupa Global is the international health insurance division of Bupa. We provide customers who want premium international coverage with products and services to access the healthcare they need anytime, anywhere in the world, whether at home or when studying, living, travelling or working abroad.
Bupa Global has offices around the world including London and Brighton (UK), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Dubai (UAE, in partnership with OIC), and Hong Kong (China) as well as regional offices in mainland China, Singapore, Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Brazil, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador.
Timescales for reviewing applications will differ between regions, but you will always receive a response to your application. The recruitment process itself will vary per role and region, but you will be updated along the way via phone and email (so please look out for these!). To view what stage of the process your application is currently at, you can also log in and view your dashboard.
If you are invited to an interview, a member of the resourcing team will be able to advise you on what to expect. This will vary in region, but will likely include an initial phone or digital interview, followed by one or more of the following depending on the role: Core capability interview; Technical/function specific interview; Online profiling assessment; Presentation, written task, role play; Assessment centre.
If your application is successful and you’re invited to join the team, the resourcing team will guide you through your on boarding journey.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to attend an interview, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to the interview at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can make adjustments accordingly.