Legal Manager, Bupa Global
Based in Cairo, the Legal Manager is accountable for delivering senior legal leadership and advice for the legal affairs and legal risk management for Bupa Egypt, as well as other key strategic and legal projects.
- Accountable for advising on legal affairs and legal risk management within the legal risk management framework set by the Legal Director, Bupa Global (BG)
- Responsibility for developing new and innovative ways of managing legal risk across all of Bupa Egypt businesses
- Supports the Legal Director, BG in undertaking long term planning for management of the legal affairs of Bupa Egypt
- Supports the Legal Director, BG in managing contentious matters affecting Bupa Egypt businesses
- Responsibility for developing know-how, templates, legal training and education for the global legal team and business partners
- Responsibility for developing new and innovative ways of managing legal risk in Bupa Egypt and develops policies and processes for areas within the role’s sphere of influence
- Works with business partners to ensure that a positive legal risk and governance culture is embedded
- Protects Bupa’s brand and intellectual property
- Ensures high standards of corporate governance to meet executive and statutory obligations, including reporting obligations to Bupa Centre
- Instructing and managing external legal counsel as required
- All accountabilities to be carried out in line with the BG Legal framework and direction of the Legal Director, BG
The Ideal Candidate
- Good first degree and a qualified lawyer admitted in Egypt.
- Experience in private practice and/or an in-house team supporting regulated insurance or financial services businesses. Relevant sector experience highly advantageous.
- Fluency in Arabic and English.
- Experience of leading and managing legal risk in a regulated financial services environment, ideally with experience of dealing with multiple regulatory frameworks in different jurisdictions
- Experience of making risk-based decisions in a complex operating environment with multiple competing demands
- Ability to work effectively in a matrix environment and to ensure that legal risks are managed efficiently, effectively and consistently.
- Strong and demonstrable ability to influence across a matrixed environment where collaboration is a crucial skill.
- Ability to take a broad view of commercial and organisational issues and objectives and to evaluate legal and operational risks in the context of other risks.
- Experience of operating successfully in an international and regulatory challenging environment.
- Credibility to develop strong relationships with senior stakeholders, including confidence to challenge as appropriate.
- A global mind-set and customer orientation.
- Flexible approach to work including location, hours and practices.
- Ability to operate as part of a team where not all colleagues will be based in the same office/location
- Ability to operate in an unstructured and fluid environment with remote supervision.
- A superior business and risk-based approach to lawyering.
- A team player who is able to work effectively across different and diverse teams.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with conflict and drive for results.
- Tenacious with high attention to detail, strong planning and organisational skills.
About the Company
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives.
As a leading global health and care company, we offer health insurance, medical subscription and other health and care funding products; we run care homes, retirement and care villages, primary care, diagnostic and wellness centres, hospitals and dental clinics. We also provide workplace health services, home healthcare, health assessments and long-term condition management services. We have 32M customers globally. With no shareholders, we invest our profits to provide more and better healthcare and fulfil our purpose. We employ 86,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, New Zealand and Chile, as well as Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, and the USA.
We have grown significantly, particularly through 2013 to 2015, when we accelerated execution of our strategic vision. We are similar in revenue and profit to Marks & Spencer, and larger than Heinz in revenue. Because Bupa does not have shareholders it does not have a listing, but if it did it would be in the FTSE 100. Bupa is not a mutual or a charity but a company limited by guarantee that seeks to maximise its profits in order to fulfil its purpose. With customers in virtually every country in the world and 70% of its revenues now generated outside the UK, Bupa is a truly international organisation.
Bupa's Strategic Framework
Our strategy has three pillars: Customers, People, Performance. It puts our customers front and centre in the context of today’s digital age. As a service organisation, everything we do for our customers relies on our people and partners, so being a place where people love to work is critical to our success. This, combined with disciplined risk and capital management, is how we will deliver strong and sustainable performance.
We are looking for individuals who share in our values and this strategy, and are capable of delivering outstanding results for the business.
Bupa’s International Markets (IM) unit has 16 million customers across all continents around the world. It manages a portfolio of businesses, including a large international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance business called Bupa Global, as well as established domestic health insurance businesses in Hong Kong and Brazil, two associate health insurance companies in Saudi Arabia (34.25% Bupa ownership) and India (49% Bupa ownership), and Hong Kong’s largest private clinic network.
Bupa Global provides products and services worldwide to people who want access to premium health and care at home or as they study, live, travel or work abroad. We provide international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance to individuals, small businesses and global corporate customers all around the world.
Bupa Global has over 1,800 employees and has offices in London and Brighton (UK), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Hong Kong (Greater China), and Dubai (UAE), as well as in Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador. Bupa Global is currently organised around five regional hubs: Bupa Global Africa, India & Middle East; Bupa Global Greater China; Bupa Global Latin America; Bupa Global North America and Bupa Global Europe.
Timescales for reviewing applications will differ between regions, but you will always receive a response to your application. The recruitment process itself will vary per role and region, but you will be updated along the way via phone and email (so please look out for these!). To view what stage of the process your application is currently at, you can also log in and view your dashboard.
If you are invited to an interview, a member of the resourcing team will be able to advise you on what to expect. This will vary in region, but will likely include an initial phone or digital interview, followed by one or more of the following depending on the role: Core capability interview; Technical/function specific interview; Online profiling assessment; Presentation, written task, role play; Assessment centre.
If your application is successful and you’re invited to join the team, the resourcing team will guide you through your on boarding journey.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to attend an interview, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to the interview at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can make adjustments accordingly.