Care Co-ordinator, Bupa Global
The Care Coordinator role enables Bupa Global to improve customer outcomes along the care journey whilst delivering value-based healthcare. The role will focus on ensuring that Bupa customers in key selected hospitals and facilities have evidenced based diagnostics and care at level and appropriate length of stay. The Care Coordinator also supports the hospital with timely, efficient, and sustainable pre-admission and discharge of the customer.
The role requires utilisation of excellent communication and clinical skills alongside experience in an acute healthcare or community setting. The Care coordinator will be supported by applying clinically based and internationally recognised care guidelines when reviewing medical pathways for Bupa customers to ensure that they are receiving the optimum health outcomes. Support and decision making around finding an appropriate provider, dealing with health and wellbeing queries, whilst navigating clinically appropriate levels of care and length of stay will be made by the Care Coordinator. These will require accurate review of pre-authorisation details for diagnostics, plus medical reports, clinical records, and engagement with the relevant care providers, including specialists, clinicians, carers, and provider partners.
The Care Coordinator will also work closely with Global Case Managers and perform the daily triage of complex medical cases, performing regular checks for emergency and high priority cases for onward escalation throughout the day for timely case management.
Longer length of stays than clinically appropriate, delayed discharges, and patients in the incorrect level of care have a direct impact on health outcomes and have a significant financial impact on Bupa Global. By having the Care Coordinator working closely with the customer and on-site partners it is expected that there is improved customer experience with a well-coordinated and supported process as in inpatient. Another positive result will be provider engagement with the opportunity to work collaboratively with hospitals to build tailor made solutions and improved referral and diagnostic improvements, to ensure all Bupa Global customers receive the right care for the right length of time and in the right setting.
- The Care Coordinator will be reviewing Bupa Global customers care needs, using triage and signposting skills to direct them to contracted and preferred providers to deliver clinically appropriate diagnostics, care, and services in the right care setting to achieve optimal outcomes. To achieve this outcome, you will be:
- Review non complex inpatient and day hospital admissions and discharges, and prioritising daily reviews
- Identifying and seeking relevant clinical information to accurately update the patient management system and selected clinical software tools.
- Orientate and educates customers and their families by explaining the role of the care coordinator; initiating find a provider / concierge pathway; providing educational information in conjunction with direct care providers related to treatments, procedures, medications, and continuing care requirements.
- Participating in case review meetings; coordinating information and care requirements with other care providers; resolving issues that could affect smooth care progression; fostering peer support; providing education to others regarding the case management process.
- Monitor the delivery of care with hospital bed managers; request copies of documented careplans; identifying progress toward desired care outcomes; intervening to overcome deviations in the expected plan of care; reviewing the care plan with customers in conjunction with the direct care providers; interacting with involved departments to negotiate and expedite scheduling and completion of tests, procedures, and consult; maintaining ongoing communication with utilization review staff regarding variances from the care plan or transfer/discharge plan.
- Evaluates outcomes of care with the interdisciplinary team by measuring intervention effectiveness with the team implementing ongoing recommendations.
- Maintain complete and accurate member records
- Triage all cases referred for complex case management and assistance with evacuation/repatriation by allocating cases to available global case management teams in region and monitor throughout working hours in line with agreed SLA
- Analysing the outcomes from the software and determining if further information or action is required.
- Working collaboratively with key hospital personnel to facilitate timely and sustainable discharge
- Identifying any instances where escalation is required
- Facilitating an excellent experience for Bupa customers before, during and after an hospital admission
- Working with Bupa Case Managers, clinicians, and Clinical Operations leaders to identify opportunities for improvements to our care coordination and support services for customers
- Complying with Bupa’s health and safety and clinical governance policies
- Facilitating communication and resolution of issues/ concerns between hospital staff and Bupa customers
The Ideal Candidate
- You will be a registered nurse with at least 5 years post qualification experience on a ward and/or within other clinical areas e.g. community care
- Bed management and discharge planning experience is essential
- Experience with decision making in a clinical setting
- Strong analytical skills are essential
- Minimum NHS Band 5 Level
- You will have a breadth of experience across a wide range of different clinical conditions
- Knowledge of the treatment pathways specific to service user requirements
- Good IT skills: ability to navigate around Microsoft Office, and comfortable working with computers
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with both clinical and non-clinical personnel across all levels of an organization.
- Working knowledge of healthcare system and resources.
- Experience working independently and as a team member
About the Company
We are a health insurer and provider. With no shareholders, our customers are our focus. We reinvest profits into providing more and better healthcare for the benefit of current and future customers.
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives and making a better world.
Here you’ll be welcomed. We champion diversity and we understand the importance of our people representing the communities and customers we serve. You’ll find an inclusive environment where you can be yourself and where everyone is driven by the same purpose – helping people live longer, healthier, happier lives.
Bupa Global is the international health insurance division of Bupa. We provide customers who want premium international coverage with products and services to access the healthcare they need anytime, anywhere in the world, whether at home or when studying, living, travelling or working abroad.
Bupa Global has offices around the world including London and Brighton (UK), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Dubai (UAE, in partnership with OIC), and Hong Kong (China) as well as regional offices in mainland China, Singapore, Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Brazil, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador.
Timescales for reviewing applications will differ between regions, but you will always receive a response to your application. The recruitment process itself will vary per role and region, but you will be updated along the way via phone and email (so please look out for these!). To view what stage of the process your application is currently at, you can also log in and view your dashboard.
If you are invited to an interview, a member of the resourcing team will be able to advise you on what to expect. This will vary in region, but will likely include an initial phone or digital interview, followed by one or more of the following depending on the role: Core capability interview; Technical/function specific interview; Online profiling assessment; Presentation, written task, role play; Assessment centre.
If your application is successful and you’re invited to join the team, the resourcing team will guide you through your on boarding journey.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to attend an interview, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to the interview at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can make adjustments accordingly.