Technical Accounting Manager
With the introduction of several complex International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRSs) over the next 2 – 3 years, a business need has developed for a Technical Accounting Manager to join the International Markets (IM) Financial and Regulatory Reporting team in London.
With extensive relevant experience and expertise either gained within a Big 4 audit firm or in a large, complex multinational organisation, the Technical Accounting Manager will lead all aspects of implementing and embedding the new standards across the businesses.
You will act as the subject matter expert across the Market Unit (MU) to lead on technical reporting matters, which will involve working closely not only with the IM MU team but also leading on technical matters with the IM business units’ finance teams. This role will provide technical guidance ensuring compliance with relevant accounting standards and developments and support the delivery of sound financial statements.
- Lead the evaluation and implementation of new accounting standards across IM, including IFRSs 9, 15, 16 and 17. Understand and propose solutions to issues arising from the impacts of the standards and manage the embedding of the changes across IM’s business units.
- Lead the training of IM business unit finance teams on the principal changes to their reporting as a result of new IFRS standards
- Support IM’s compliance with the Group’s reporting framework, ensuring compliance with relevant accounting and regulatory standards and developments, particularly IFRS and Solvency II. This will include carrying out research and keeping up to date with accounting standards and developments, liaising with other functions, conducting impact analyses, briefing stakeholders and implementing plans as appropriate.
Statutory and other reporting
- Technical reviews of MU prepared statutory accounts
- Lead IM’s compliance with Group technical accounting and reporting policies, both at market unit level and across the IM business units
- Advise on hot topics and in particular, although not exclusively, anticipate and advise IM management and business units on challenges arising from the changes to IFRSs.
- Support specific areas of IM’s reporting requirements and work with business units to find solutions to accounting matters and complex technical challenges.
- Raise the capability of the Financial Reporting team and the IM Business Unit finance teams, including the development and provision of regular and timely training to key individuals within the Financial Reporting team and business unit finance teams as relevant.
- Deal with any queries with Auditors on technical accounting and regulatory matters.
- To lead on ad-hoc projects to ensure that all issues are resolved and fully reported.
The Ideal Candidate
- Qualified Accountant.
- Post graduate qualification / Membership of recognised professional body (ACA, ACCA preferred).
- Strong IFRS knowledge
- Previous insurance industry experience and Solvency II reporting knowledge would be an advantage
- Experienced professional with relevant transferable skills gained from working within large multinational or complex organisations.
- Demonstrated high calibre financial understanding and capability, with a clear commercial awareness.
- Ability to interpret detailed accounting and reporting guidance and present to senior management
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills with a proven ability to bridge financial knowledge-gaps.
- Strong stakeholder management experience, building and strengthening relationships within the business at all levels.
- Adaptable to business change and a fast paced environment with a growth agenda.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, managing conflicting tasks, senior demands and deadlines
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to explain complex financial reporting matters in a language which is suitable for financial and non-financial stakeholders
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills.
- A track record of personal and career growth through exceeding expectations and objectives.
- Proven initiative and desire to contribute beyond the core expectations of the role.
- Willing to provide support, advice, and assistance in the development of colleagues.
About the Company
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives.
As a leading global health and care company, we offer health insurance, medical subscription and other health and care funding products; we run care homes, retirement and care villages, primary care, diagnostic and wellness centres, hospitals and dental clinics. We also provide workplace health services, home healthcare, health assessments and long-term condition management services. We have 32M customers globally. With no shareholders, we invest our profits to provide more and better healthcare and fulfil our purpose. We employ 84,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, New Zealand and Chile, as well as Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, and the USA.
We have grown significantly, particularly through 2013 to 2015, when we accelerated execution of our strategic vision. We are similar in revenue and profit to Marks & Spencer, and larger than Heinz in revenue. Because Bupa does not have shareholders it does not have a listing, but if it did it would be in the FTSE 100. Bupa is not a mutual or a charity but a company limited by guarantee that seeks to maximise its profits in order to fulfil its purpose. With customers in virtually every country in the world and 70% of its revenues now generated outside the UK, Bupa is a truly international organisation.
Bupa believes that the growth and performance of our leaders and our people is the single biggest pathway to fulfilling our purpose (longer, healthier, happier lives) and delivering Bupa's strategic priorities. We have a leadership framework called “Bupa Leaders Are” which sets out what great leadership looks like at Bupa. Leaders are called upon to grow themselves, to grow others, to grow the business, and fulfil our purpose: longer, healthier, happier, lives. We are looking for individuals who are capable of delivering extraordinary business outcomes.
Bupa’s International Markets (IM) unit has 16 million customers across all continents around the world. It manages a portfolio of businesses, including a large international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance business called Bupa Global, as well as established domestic health insurance businesses in Hong Kong and Brazil, two associate health insurance companies in Saudi Arabia (34.25% Bupa ownership) and India (49% Bupa ownership), and Hong Kong’s largest private clinic network.
Bupa Global provides products and services worldwide to people who want access to premium health and care at home or as they study, live, travel or work abroad. We provide international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance to individuals, small businesses and global corporate customers all around the world.
Bupa Global has over 1,800 employees and has offices in London and Brighton (UK), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Hong Kong (Greater China), and Dubai (UAE), as well as in Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador. Bupa Global is currently organised around five regional hubs: Bupa Global Africa, India & Middle East; Bupa Global Greater China; Bupa Global Latin America; Bupa Global North America and Bupa Global Europe.
Timescales for reviewing applications will differ between regions, but you will always receive a response to your application. The recruitment process itself will vary per role and region, but you will be updated along the way via phone and email (so please look out for these!). To view what stage of the process your application is currently at, you can also log in and view your dashboard.
If you are invited to an interview, a member of the resourcing team will be able to advise you on what to expect. This will vary in region, but will likely include an initial phone or digital interview, followed by one or more of the following depending on the role: Core capability interview; Technical/function specific interview; Online profiling assessment; Presentation, written task, role play; Assessment centre.
If your application is successful and you’re invited to join the team, the resourcing team will guide you through your on boarding journey.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to attend an interview, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to the interview at email@example.com, so we can make adjustments accordingly.