Risk and Compliance Officer
The purpose of the Risk & Compliance Officer is to support the Risk & Compliance Team by:
- Implementing and monitoring of compliance processes, procedures and controls relating to key compliance programs in BGLA.
- Logging of compliance investigations in BGLA.
- Providing assurance on:-
- Compliance with all external regulatory requirements.
- Compliance with the Group, MU and BGLA policy set
- The execution of BGLA Risk Mitigation Plans
- BGLAs internal control environment
- The monitoring, follow up and execution of group and BGLA internal audit findings
- Appraising the reliability of internal controls, identifying areas for improvement and monitoring corrective action.
- Delivering effective, relevant and timely reports on findings of assurance activities undertaken in relation to BGLA’s risk and compliance environment.
- Support the BGLA Risk & Compliance Team, to review the implementation of the group risk management framework across all countries where BGLA operates.
- Support Senior Management in compliance initiatives.
- Assist and support the Risk & Compliance function in maintaining an effective regulatory framework for the region.
- Support Senior Compliance Manager with the coordination and approach of Conduct Risk and liaise with the first line of defence, in order to proactively monitor Conduct Risk.
- Assist in ensuring the risk appetite for compliance is appropriately applied across the region.
- Assist in the management and continuous enhancement of the various components of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework.
- Provide support in the update of risk registers, collection and analysis of risk incident reporting, performing training, etc.
The position will be leading, and responsible for the following activities:
- Responsible for drawing up and implementing the annual risk-based compliance monitoring programme, complementing the assurance programme undertaken by, as applicable, Group, MU and BGLA mandates and taking into account the business risk framework.
- To plan, organise and carry out assurance activities including the preparation, tracking and reporting on findings, scheduling and assigning work and estimating resource needs.
- To make recommendations on the systems and procedures being reviewed, report on the findings and recommendations and monitor management's response and implementation of recommendations.
- Liaise with Internal Audit and follow-up on identified audit points to ensure timely remediation and closing.
- Manage the reporting and logging processes by developing, capturing, receiving and organizing appropriate transaction reports, as required by policies relating to gifts & entertainment, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, HIPAA and third-party risk management.
- Coordinate with the Compliance team to create processes to identify, resolve and/or escalate potential issues to Head of Risk and Compliance relating to monitoring reports.
- Coordinate processes to identify, resolve and/or escalate issues raised through the Bupa Compliance Hotline, and following-up to ensure issues are addressed and resolved in a timely manner.
- Log and monitor compliance investigations, and ensuring proper documentation is captured and maintained for tracking purposes.
- Participate in compliance reviews, projects and training efforts; act on behalf of the Head of Risk & Compliance, as required.
- Complete other responsibilities, as assigned.
- Support to embed a culture of pro-active 1st line ownership of compliance risk management across BGLA. To ensure the appropriate regulatory risk/compliance risk appetite is applied to all business decisions and control requirements.
The Ideal Candidate
- 4-7 years of relevant experience in Compliance, Risk and/or Audit and/or Legal.
- Experience working with multi-national companies or law firms, preferably with exposure in different countries in Latin America
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. (Masters Degree, LLM, Juris Doctorate, or similar is a plus)
- Knowledge of the insurance or health industry in Latin America
- Extensive proven experience in a business assurance and compliance role
- Practical experience in implementing assurance and compliance frameworks, processes, tools and technology
- An understanding of the international regulatory environment, especially in the US
- Robust ability to challenge at the most senior level within the business
- Strong verbal and written skills in English, (Spanish and/or Portuguese is a Plus)
- Excellent interpersonal skills characterized by effective interactions with a diverse range of internal and external constituents, stakeholders and audiences.
- Ability to construct concise investigation reports and documentation of related events.
- Excellent team player.
- Interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills, with emphasis achieving results and successful outcomes through consultation and conciliation
- Ability to work in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment.
- Strong knowledge on MS office product suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Minimal travel required (up to 20%)