Bupa Global EEA Risk Function needs to ensure that the business fully understands the risk requirements and regulatory environments within which it operates and is made aware of forthcoming changes that may impact on the business, its customers and its strategic goals.
To provide support for the Senior Risk Manager in providing assurance to the CRO, that the stated areas of risk (including but not limited to strategic, insurance, financial, legal and operational) of BG EEA are being adhered to.
To play an active role in BG EEA for the oversight, embedding, management of and adherence to an agreed Enterprise Risk Management Framework. To challenge and embed a culture of pro-active risk management across BG EEA. To ensure the appropriate risk appetite is applied to all business decisions and control requirements. To be an advocate and role model of embedding risk management principles and to provide the required control standards for risk.
The role holder will provide support to the Compliance function in embedding and leading the compliance agenda across BG DAC. This may include assisting with the completion of compliance assessment, compliance advice on projects, upstream regulatory risk, and process changes.
Support the embedding of the BG EEA Risk function in support of the Risk Director and Board/ Risk Committee
- Join the BG EEA Risk function and play a role in support of the business in the setup of all operational systems and processes in line with the wider International Markets business
- The 2nd line requires: (i) a true business partnering role and (ii) roles with a “true Bupa Group” perspective.
- These include: capital assessments; preparation and commentary on aggregate risk profile; ORSA; group stress and scenario testing; group risk appetite setting; supporting the Group Risk Committee.
Operating as the Risk Function for Bupa Global EEA
- Work between the Bupa Group 2nd line function and the business to support implementation of the group risk management framework.
- Make periodic assessments and prepare reports on the effectiveness of risk management within BG EEA.
- Assess and report on the ongoing operation of and adherence to the Risk framework (including risk policies).
- Review and challenge BG EEA led projects.
- Challenge risk and controls self-assessments.
Risk Appetite and Frameworks
- Support the Risk Director, BG EEA in the custodianship of BG EEA Risk Appetite Statement (in line with Solvency 2 and ICA principles) and the embedding of a detailed Operational Risk Management framework
- Drive improvement and enhancements in risk management practices and behaviours.
- Assist the Risk Director, BG EEA in providing the information the BG EEA exec teams requires to properly discharge their responsibilities and to make appropriate commercial and strategic decisions to meet their strategic objectives.
- To comply with and take into account any requirements from the CBI
- Establish & maintain links with key stakeholders in the BG EEA, Exco members, their teams and establish strong working relationships
- Develop strong network and stakeholder relationships across the Bupa Risk function to stay well connected to the enterprise and ensure professional / technical development
Culture and Conduct
- Support the Senior Risk Manager to embed a pro-active risk management culture, in conjunction with the R&C Director, BG EEA, across the business.
- As part of the BG DAC business ensure that you live the Bupa values and a role model for conduct standards for colleagues
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement that constantly seeks to improve customer outcomes, eliminate waste and increase efficiency and productivity
The Ideal Candidate
- Member of the Institute of Risk Management or equivalent
- Direct experience of developing and embedding of risk processes across major complex multinational organisations.
- Objective, analytical and lateral thinking with a ‘can-do’ attitude with the ability to summarise and communicate complicated technical issues.
- Financially numerate with strong business and communications skills.
- Experience of dealing with and managing relationships with the regulatory authorities in Ireland, and in other geographic locations.
- Ability to work across cultures and geographies
- Comprehensive and demonstrable knowledge of best practice across the different risk assurance functions, ideally in the insurance industry or other financial services.
- Flexible, objective and pragmatic. Able to work under significant pressure and intensity – handling multiple conflicts of interest and priorities and capable of providing insightful and balanced views on business risks and issues.
- Broad financial and commercial experience gained across the Financial Services sector
- Very strong Stakeholder management skills with a proven track record of influencing internally & externally
About the Company
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives.
As a leading global health and care company, we offer health insurance, medical subscription and other health and care funding products; we run care homes, retirement and care villages, primary care, diagnostic and wellness centres, hospitals and dental clinics. We also provide workplace health services, home healthcare, health assessments and long-term condition management services. We have 32M customers globally. With no shareholders, we invest our profits to provide more and better healthcare and fulfil our purpose. We employ 86,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, New Zealand and Chile, as well as Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, and the USA.
We have grown significantly, particularly through 2013 to 2015, when we accelerated execution of our strategic vision. We are similar in revenue and profit to Marks & Spencer, and larger than Heinz in revenue. Because Bupa does not have shareholders it does not have a listing, but if it did it would be in the FTSE 100. Bupa is not a mutual or a charity but a company limited by guarantee that seeks to maximise its profits in order to fulfil its purpose. With customers in virtually every country in the world and 70% of its revenues now generated outside the UK, Bupa is a truly international organisation.
Bupa's Strategic Framework
Our strategy has three pillars: Customers, People, Performance. It puts our customers front and centre in the context of today’s digital age. As a service organisation, everything we do for our customers relies on our people and partners, so being a place where people love to work is critical to our success. This, combined with disciplined risk and capital management, is how we will deliver strong and sustainable performance. We are looking for individuals who share in our values and this strategy, and are capable of delivering outstanding results for the business.
Bupa’s International Markets (IM) unit has 16 million customers across all continents around the world. It manages a portfolio of businesses, including a large international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance business called Bupa Global, as well as established domestic health insurance businesses in Hong Kong and Brazil, two associate health insurance companies in Saudi Arabia (34.25% Bupa ownership) and India (49% Bupa ownership), and Hong Kong’s largest private clinic network.
Bupa Global provides products and services worldwide to people who want access to premium health and care at home or as they study, live, travel or work abroad. We provide international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance to individuals, small businesses and global corporate customers all around the world.
Bupa Global has over 1,800 employees and has offices in London and Brighton (UK), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Hong Kong (Greater China), and Dubai (UAE), as well as in Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador. Bupa Global is currently organised around five regional hubs: Bupa Global Africa, India & Middle East; Bupa Global Greater China; Bupa Global Latin America; Bupa Global North America and Bupa Global Europe.