Based in Cairo, the Medical Underwriter will make decisions on underwriting using clinical and medical risk knowledge. This includes ensuring all applications for membership are underwritten and all decisions are made in a consistent and accurate manner, resulting in maximum risk protection.
The Medical Underwriter will act as an expert point of reference on all aspects of underwriting, non disclosure and business policy to provide clarity, consistency and guidance to all areas of the business.
- Understand and assess the medical risks associated with medical conditions and the range of potential treatments and their costs.
- Ensure that all new applications for membership are underwritten and all cases are dealt with in a consistent and timely manner so that they are processed within the agreed service level.
- Request further medical information, where necessary in order to process an application to join/upgrade. To follow up these requests to prevent a no sale wherever possible.
- Resolve promptly and fairly to written queries from members and other parties in respect of underwriting decisions
- Monitor the quality of business from all sales channels, reporting to the manager recommending action as appropriate.
- Work with the manager to identify changes to working practices and processes and implement changes as required.
- Act as an expert point of reference to other areas of the business and Bupa Global in relation to underwriting and related business policy.
- Articulate to business colleagues, intermediaries, customers and the medical profession Bupa Global’s requirements and processes for underwriting and medical risk assessment.
- Provide input where required to literature and form design for new products or changes to existing products.
- Pro-actively contact members, providers, service partners and intermediaries in the most appropriate way in order to gain enough information needed in order to make a decision.
- Apply business rules and medical policy to make the most appropriate and accurate decisions for the business, the member and our members as a whole.
- Keep up to date with Bupa Global products, policies and systems and any policy changes that have an effect on underwriting, ensuring accurate assessment of risk and giving advice to third parties.
- Deal with referrals from other areas of the business in respect of potential underwriting implications, or large cases and substandard risks and policy cases
- Liaise with other areas of Bupa Global to gain information required in order to make a decision. This includes claims, SIU, sales and customer services.
- Carry out review projects for development of policy changes, medical advancements and underwriting developments. Carry out risk analysis. Communicate the outcome of the project in the most appropriate way. Compile and maintain a project file continually updating medical developments.
- Provide a high quality service to Bupa Global staff in respect of technical aspects of Bupa Global policies, products and underwriting queries relating to future applicants and existing members
- Comply with and abide by the requirements of the Egyptian Financial Regulatory Authority (FRA) at all times.
In addition the role will also require strong judgement skills :
- Responsibility for deciding what underwriting terms will apply to each application and upgrade for Bupa Global members.
- Determine when and what additional information is required to best assess medical risk at the point of joining.
- Make decisions regarding any possible change of underwriting terms in the light of pre-authorisation requests or claims received.
- Retain a customer focus in all tasks undertaken, balancing decisions with the needs of the customer and of the business.
- Ascertain when an application exceeds acceptable limits given by the Bupa Global underwriting guidelines.
- Ascertain where in disease aetiology (lifecycle) an individual is to understand possible future treatments and therefore associated claims costs.
- Determine in what circumstances a case should be referred and to whom to achieve a fair and accurate assessment.
- Highlight required changes to underwriting policy, business rules, non disclosure policy and working practices.
The Ideal Candidate
- Educated to a bachelor degree level or equivalent.
- The jobholder should have a medical background; sound medical knowledge, gained through internal training and experience and/or previous medical background.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to identify sources of data, analyse data and make rational decisions and recommendations. Construct a reasoned case, providing sound justifications.
- Ability to work on own initiative with minimal guidance.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Bupa Global and its systems , products , policies and procedures with a minimum of 2 years in a customer services or other role in a regulated industry.
- Strong sense of customer focus, considering impact on customers and business and responding promptly and co-operatively to internal and external customers balancing decisions with the needs of the customer and of the business.
- Diplomatic and self-confident, creating an environment of professionalism and trust.
- Good PC skills.
- Good problem solving and prioritization skills, with close attention to details.
- Ability to work to targets under pressure.
- Ability to work well alone , as well as part of a team.
- Fluent written and spoken skills in both Arabic and English
- A third language other than English and Arabic is desirable.
- The post holder will be required to make visits to other Bupa sites and travel abroad as required.
- Background in the global health insurance market, or relevant transferable skills and knowledge from other financial services industries such as Life Insurance, Retail, Commercial or Investment Banking and Wealth Management.
- Previous experience of a complex and multi skilled customer facing roles within a contact centre setting
- A track record of achieving and exceeding productivity and quality targets
- Highly customer focussed
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills are required with emphasis on achieving results and successful outcomes.
About the Company
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives.
As a leading global health and care company, we offer health insurance, medical subscription and other health and care funding products; we run care homes, retirement and care villages, primary care, diagnostic and wellness centres, hospitals and dental clinics. We also provide workplace health services, home healthcare, health assessments and long-term condition management services. We have 32M customers globally. With no shareholders, we invest our profits to provide more and better healthcare and fulfil our purpose. We employ 86,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, New Zealand and Chile, as well as Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, and the USA.
We have grown significantly, particularly through 2013 to 2015, when we accelerated execution of our strategic vision. We are similar in revenue and profit to Marks & Spencer, and larger than Heinz in revenue. Because Bupa does not have shareholders it does not have a listing, but if it did it would be in the FTSE 100. Bupa is not a mutual or a charity but a company limited by guarantee that seeks to maximise its profits in order to fulfil its purpose. With customers in virtually every country in the world and 70% of its revenues now generated outside the UK, Bupa is a truly international organisation.
Bupa's Strategic Framework
Our strategy has three pillars: Customers, People, Performance. It puts our customers front and centre in the context of today’s digital age. As a service organisation, everything we do for our customers relies on our people and partners, so being a place where people love to work is critical to our success. This, combined with disciplined risk and capital management, is how we will deliver strong and sustainable performance.
We are looking for individuals who share in our values and this strategy, and are capable of delivering outstanding results for the business.
Bupa’s International Markets (IM) unit has 16 million customers across all continents around the world. It manages a portfolio of businesses, including a large international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance business called Bupa Global, as well as established domestic health insurance businesses in Hong Kong and Brazil, two associate health insurance companies in Saudi Arabia (34.25% Bupa ownership) and India (49% Bupa ownership), and Hong Kong’s largest private clinic network.
Bupa Global provides products and services worldwide to people who want access to premium health and care at home or as they study, live, travel or work abroad. We provide international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance to individuals, small businesses and global corporate customers all around the world.
Bupa Global has over 1,800 employees and has offices in London and Brighton (UK), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Hong Kong (Greater China), and Dubai (UAE), as well as in Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador. Bupa Global is currently organised around five regional hubs: Bupa Global Africa, India & Middle East; Bupa Global Greater China; Bupa Global Latin America; Bupa Global North America and Bupa Global Europe.
Timescales for reviewing applications will differ between regions, but you will always receive a response to your application. The recruitment process itself will vary per role and region, but you will be updated along the way via phone and email (so please look out for these!). To view what stage of the process your application is currently at, you can also log in and view your dashboard.
If you are invited to an interview, a member of the resourcing team will be able to advise you on what to expect. This will vary in region, but will likely include an initial phone or digital interview, followed by one or more of the following depending on the role: Core capability interview; Technical/function specific interview; Online profiling assessment; Presentation, written task, role play; Assessment centre.
If your application is successful and you’re invited to join the team, the resourcing team will guide you through your on boarding journey.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to attend an interview, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to the interview at firstname.lastname@example.org, so we can make adjustments accordingly.