Medical Underwriter - Bupa Egypt Insurance
This is a diverse and highly skilled technical and investigative role. The role holder is responsible for
- making decisions on Underwriting using clinical and medical risk knowledge, and resolving all underwriting queries to the customer’s complete satisfaction, and
- ensuring all referrals for medical non disclosure receive an appropriate level of scrutiny.
This will be carried out to ensure maximum risk protection.
The role holder’s individual performance will be a key contribution to the department achieving all targets for quality, productivity, compliance and regulation. They will put the customer at the centre of everything they do and using their underwriting and non-disclosure knowledge to put forward ideas for the continual improvement of the customer experience.
- End to end ownership for the resolution of all customer underwriting and medical non disclosure cases. Case manage all cases through to resolution.
- Understand and assess the medical risks associated with medical conditions and the range of potential treatments and their costs.
- Ensure that all new applications for membership are underwritten in a consistent and timely manner and that they are processed within the agreed Service Level.
- Use medical risk assessment techniques and knowledge to make decisions on the level of potential medical risk.
- Balance customer needs with commercial considerations as a core part of the underwriting decision making.
- Take responsibility for working collectively with other areas (eg Sales) to achieve the best outcome for the customer.
- Act as an expert point of reference to other areas of the business within Bupa Global in relation to underwriting and medical non disclosure.
- Pro-actively contact medical/health practitioners, members, providers, partners and intermediaries in the most appropriate way in order to gain sufficient information to make a decision.
- Accurately maintain and update customer records on the customer management system. Ensure that records are accurately updated whenever a customer makes contact.
- Record full and robust case investigation information and decision-making rationale and adhere to defined referral, escalation and decision-making standards.
- Comply with all regulatory and governance requirements including FCA and Treating Customers Fairly.
- Achieve all targets for contact handling, turnaround times and quality
- Participate in regular 121s and team meetings with your Manager.
- Support new team members and act as a role model for the team demonstrating outstanding personal behaviours and performance.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement process by challenging existing process and contributing ideas for improvement.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of Bupa Global products, policies and systems, and keep up to date with any policy changes that have an effect on medical risk.
The Ideal Candidate
Background in the global health insurance market, or relevant transferable skills and knowledge from other financial services industries such as Life Insurance, Retail, Commercial or Investment Banking and Wealth Management.
Sound medical knowledge, gained through internal training and experience and/or previous medical background.
Experience of medical underwriting, risk assessment or claims management and decision-making within the healthcare sector or protection insurance arena.
Previous experience in the delivery of customer service within a contact centre setting, coupled with experience of case managing customer queries thorough to resolution
A track record of achieving and exceeding productivity and quality targets in a high performing team environment
Highly customer focussed, considering impact on customers and business and responding promptly and co-operatively to internal and external customers balancing decisions with the needs of the customer and of the business.
Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills are required with emphasis on achieving results and successful outcomes.
An ability to speak a second language would be an advantage
About the Company
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives.
As a leading global health and care company, we offer health insurance, medical subscription and other health and care funding products; we run care homes, retirement and care villages, primary care, diagnostic and wellness centres, hospitals and dental clinics. We also provide workplace health services, home healthcare, health assessments and long-term condition management services. We have 32M customers globally. With no shareholders, we invest our profits to provide more and better healthcare and fulfil our purpose. We employ 79,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, New Zealand and Chile, as well as Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, and the USA.
We have grown significantly, particularly through 2013 to 2015, when we accelerated execution of our strategic vision. We are similar in revenue and profit to Marks & Spencer, and larger than Heinz in revenue. Because Bupa does not have shareholders it does not have a listing, but if it did it would be in the FTSE 100. Bupa is not a mutual or a charity but a company limited by guarantee that seeks to maximise its profits in order to fulfil its purpose. With customers in virtually every country in the world and 70% of its revenues now generated outside the UK, Bupa is a truly international organisation.
Bupa's Strategic Framework
Our strategy has three pillars: Customers, People, Performance. It puts our customers front and centre in the context of today’s digital age. As a service organisation, everything we do for our customers relies on our people and partners, so being a place where people love to work is critical to our success. This, combined with disciplined risk and capital management, is how we will deliver strong and sustainable performance.
We are looking for individuals who share in our values and this strategy, and are capable of delivering outstanding results for the business.
Bupa Global provides products and services worldwide to people who want access to premium health and care at home or as they study, live, travel or work abroad. We provide international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance to individuals, small businesses and global corporate customers all around the world.
Bupa Global has over 2,000 employees and has offices in London and Brighton (UK), Dublin (Ireland), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Hong Kong (Greater China), and Dubai (UAE), as well as in Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador. Bupa Global is currently organised around five regional hubs: Bupa Global Africa, India & Middle East; Bupa Global Greater China; Bupa Global Latin America; Bupa Global North America and Bupa Global Europe.
Timescales for reviewing applications will differ between regions, but you will always receive a response to your application. The recruitment process itself will vary per role and region, but you will be updated along the way via phone and email (so please look out for these!). To view what stage of the process your application is currently at, you can also log in and view your dashboard.
If you are invited to an interview, a member of the resourcing team will be able to advise you on what to expect. This will vary in region, but will likely include an initial phone or digital interview, followed by one or more of the following depending on the role: Core capability interview; Technical/function specific interview; Online profiling assessment; Presentation, written task, role play; Assessment centre.
If your application is successful and you’re invited to join the team, the resourcing team will guide you through your on boarding journey.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to attend an interview, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to the interview at email@example.com, so we can make adjustments accordingly.