International Accounting Manager
Oversee subsidiaries in Latin America ensuring compliance with BGLA accounting and financial policies. Manage the Financial Reporting activities for such entities. Determine differences between local accounting rules, US GAAP and IFRS ensuring financial statements are reported in accordance to IFRS. Ensure that all tasks are completed within department deadlines and objectives.
- Responsible for overall sign off of month end accounts pertaining to the company’s subsidiaries in Latin America.
- Organizes and manages the financial activities and staff pertaining to the Latam entities.
- Determine differences between local accounting rules, US GAAP and IFRS; develops a process to propose the necessary entries to ensure financial information reported from local subsidiaries are in accordance to US GAAP and IFRS.
- Ensure financial information provided by foreign subsidiaries is in line with ASC Topic 830 (FASB52)
- Review submission of actuals identifying any variances against plan or forecast. Review variance report submitted by local team; research variances and resolve issues
- Review of local accounts’ reconciliations; ensure accounts are properly reconciled, documented, and local review and approval is evidenced.
- Preparation of monthly commentary for Bupa Group (actuals vs. forecast, prior year and annual plan).
- On a monthly basis, reviews month-end intercompany balances to ensure balances among entities are correctly stated.
- Reviews all intercompany agreements ensuring that all intercompany cross-charges are booked correctly and as dictated by agreements.
- Manage local controllers/general accountants through meetings, monthly reporting review and visits to local offices.
- Account mapping maintenance: Ensure local chart of accounts is correctly mapped to BGLA chart of accounts. Ensure correct classification and mapping of newly created accounts.
- Half Year and Year End Cognos submission: Ensure timely submission of year end appendices and proper review of all data submitted.
- Help to integrate Latam entities to align with US processes while ensuring compliance with local statutory filing requirements
- Ensure that the correct personnel are in place to guarantee accuracy and timeliness of recordkeeping so that final results are reviewed and agreed upon prior to submission to Bupa Group UK on a monthly basis.
- Responsible for internal documentation and revision pertaining to internal controls, processes and policies. Ensures that company guidelines are followed appropriately and enforced.
- Reviews, develops and evaluate internal control procedures with the objective of assuring the integrity of the accounting policies and procedures.
- Define problem areas and evaluate, recommend and implement alternative solutions to complex issues and internal control problems.
- Understand complex data processing procedures and systems support work, as it relates to accounting and financial functions.
- Design and implement optimal operational finance processes and controls to support system changes.
- Ensure business process changes interface successfully with existing financial systems and controls.
- Involved in the analysis and implementation of new strategic alliances ensuring that all accounting policies are adhered to.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Minimum 8-10 years of relevant Accounting experience
- Public Accounting Certification (CPA) highly preferred
- Experience working in a multi-currency environment is highly desirable
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Applications including Excel, Word and Power Point.
- General understanding of Dynamics, Management Reporter, Adaptive, and Cognos accounting software preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of broad based accounting processes and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP and IFRS).
- Excellent communication skills in English and Spanish- written and oral
- Ability to speak Portuguese a plus
- Individual must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to delegate and manage effectively.
- Strong communication skills, with ability to effectively gather and convey information via e-mail or phone with people located in other offices and in different time zones
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
- Related accounting supervision experience including management of personnel of multiple areas.
- Comprehensive knowledge of broad-based financial functions in addition to financial accounting standards.
- Highly focused, and detailed oriented with ability to prioritize work.
- Strong organizational, time management and prioritizing skills.
- Strong understanding of generally accepted accounting principles pertaining to Latin America countries desirable.
- Required Travel: Approximately 30%
- Effective coaching, motivating and team building skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and decision making skills with ability to challenge status quo.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- Demonstrate initiative, flexibility and ability to drive and embrace change
- Demonstrate a commitment to own personal and staff development
- Ability to work with a heightened sense of urgency and meet deadlines.
About the Company
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives.
As a leading global health and care company, we offer health insurance, medical subscription and other health and care funding products; we run care homes, retirement and care villages, primary care, diagnostic and wellness centres, hospitals and dental clinics. We also provide workplace health services, home healthcare, health assessments and long-term condition management services. We have 32M customers in 190 countries. With no shareholders, we invest our profits to provide more and better healthcare and fulfil our purpose. We employ 84,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, New Zealand and Chile, as well as Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, Thailand, and the USA.
We have grown significantly, particularly through 2013 to 2015, when we accelerated execution of our Bupa 2020 strategic vision. We are similar in revenue and profit to Marks & Spencer, and larger than Heinz in revenue. Because Bupa does not have shareholders it does not have a listing, but if it did it would be in the FTSE 100. Bupa is not a mutual or a charity but a company limited by guarantee that seeks to maximise its profits in order to fulfil its purpose. With customers in virtually every country in the world and 70% of its revenues now generated outside the UK, Bupa is a truly international organisation.
Bupa believes that the growth and performance of our leaders and our people is the single biggest pathway to fulfilling our purpose (longer, healthier, happier lives) and delivering Bupa’s 2020 goals. We have a leadership framework called “Bupa Leaders Are” which sets out what great leadership looks like at Bupa. Leaders are called upon to grow themselves, to grow others, to grow the business, and fulfil our purpose: longer, healthier, happier, lives. We are looking for individuals who are capable of delivering extraordinary business outcomes.
Bupa’s International Markets (IM) unit has 16 million customers in 190 countries across all continents around the world. It manages a portfolio of businesses, including a large international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance business called Bupa Global, as well as established domestic health insurance businesses in Hong Kong and Thailand, two associate health insurance companies in Saudi Arabia (26.25% Bupa ownership) and India (49% Bupa ownership), and Hong Kong’s largest private clinic network.
Bupa Global provides products and services worldwide to people who want access to premium health and care at home or as they study, live, travel or work abroad. We provide international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance to individuals, small businesses and global corporate customers all around the world.
Bupa Global has over 1,800 employees and has offices in London and Brighton (UK), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Hong Kong (Greater China), and Dubai (UAE), as well as in Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador. Bupa Global is currently organised around five regional hubs: Bupa Global Middle East, Africa and India; Bupa Global Greater China; Bupa Global Latin America; Bupa Global North America and Bupa Global Europe.
Timescales for reviewing applications will differ between regions, but you will always receive a response to your application. The recruitment process itself will vary per role and region, but you will be updated along the way via phone and email (so please look out for these!). To view what stage of the process your application is currently at, you can also log in and view your dashboard.
If you are invited to an interview, a member of the resourcing team will be able to advise you on what to expect. This will vary in region, but will likely include an initial phone or digital interview, followed by one or more of the following depending on the role: Core capability interview; Technical/function specific interview; Online profiling assessment; Presentation, written task, role play; Assessment centre.
If your application is successful and you’re invited to join the team, the resourcing team will guide you through your on boarding journey.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to attend an interview, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to the interview at email@example.com, so we can make adjustments accordingly.