Provides timely, efficient, results-oriented and professional legal advice on a broad range of corporate insurance and commercial matters with international dimensions, ensuring that the legal requirements for the organization are met.
- Provides strategic legal counsel and support to the Company as needed to various areas of the business, including but not limited to the areas of customer service, sales, health & benefits, claims, appeals and case resolution.
- Provides support in the areas of strategic projects, transactions and day-to-day business activities.
- Manages the Company’s threatened and active litigation, driving strategy and efficiently resolving matters to the Company’s financial benefit.
- Researches and analyzes relevant statutes, agency regulations, case law, providing specific advise on relevant legislation in Latin American countries, based on special needs of the business.
- Manages the engagement process of external international, national and local advisers as needed, regarding business development plans, threatened or active litigation.
- Maintains and manages internal legal reports and the regulatory, threatened and active litigation recommended accrual reports with the Finance Department
- Fosters trust and confidence throughout the organization through a combination of commercially reasonable legal advice, personal integrity, willingness to share knowledge and assist other areas in the organization to resolve issues for customers, producers and Service Centers, in a timely manner.
- Adheres and complies with the Company’s values as outlined in the Company’s Bupa Code compliance program.
- Undertakes other duties within skill set to support the needs of Legal and the Company.
The Ideal Candidate
- Law degree from a U.S. accredited law school and a member of a U.S. State Bar
- If not Florida Bar member, ability to meet the qualifications for Florida in house counsel rule within three (3) months of employment.
- Preferred 2-5 years international legal experience preferably in Latin America.
- Alternatively, preferred 2-5 years experience in insurance, reinsurance, or healthcare law.
- Both litigation and transactional experience a plus
- Bilingual in formal English and Spanish with excellent oral and written communication in both languages. Portuguese highly desirable.
- Excellent organizational, prioritizing, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to lead and work well within a team with minimal supervision; work effectively across departments.
- Exceptional relationship building, influencing, and interpersonal skills, with ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Self-starter who demonstrates commitment, flexibility, assumes ownership and accountability.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to successfully work with senior management, staff, operations, sales and business unit leaders.
- Ability to understand cultural sensitivities.
Analyzes situations based on experience and knowledge, makes sound decisions that effectively balance legal risk with results-oriented legal advice for the success of the business. Provides sound legal advice in a manner that is clear, succinct, and timely, taking into account the needs of the business.
Freedom of Action:
- Ensures the quality and timeliness of legal advice with minimal supervision.
- Self directed, makes decisions based on knowledge and experience, requests and obtains assistance if needed
- Manages work load, able to manage the redistribution of work as needed, to ensure results-oriented legal advice is delivered to the business.
- Contributes to meeting department objectives by meeting deadlines; furthers company objectives by providing timely and results oriented legal advice.
- Work is performed in a fast-paced environment, which requires interacting with senior management, staff, operations, sales and business unit leaders in the daily operations of the department.
- Works in a team environment in a multi cultural arena, provides advice which is influenced by the political, social and economic conditions of the given geographic areas.
- Requires occasional international travel.
- There are business critical essential functions that the Company should be able to perform, either continuously or without significant disruption, during and following a crisis, as required and outlined in the Company’s Business Continuity Plan (BCP).
- This function has been identified as a business critical essential function under the BCP.