Provides timely, efficient, results-oriented and professional legal advice on a broad range of corporate insurance and commercial matters with international dimensions, ensuring that the legal requirements for the organization are met.
- Provides strategic legal counsel and support to the Company as needed to various areas of the business, including but not limited to the areas of customer service, sales, health & benefits, claims, appeals and case resolution.
- Provides support in the areas of strategic projects, transactions and day-to-day business activities.
- Manages the Company’s threatened and active litigation, driving strategy and efficiently resolving matters to the Company’s financial benefit.
- Researches and analyzes relevant statutes, agency regulations, case law, providing specific advise on relevant legislation in Latin American countries, based on special needs of the business.
- Manages the engagement process of external international, national and local advisers as needed, regarding business development plans, threatened or active litigation.
- Maintains and manages internal legal reports and the regulatory, threatened and active litigation recommended accrual reports with the Finance Department
- Fosters trust and confidence throughout the organization through a combination of commercially reasonable legal advice, personal integrity, willingness to share knowledge and assist other areas in the organization to resolve issues for customers, producers and Service Centers, in a timely manner.
- Adheres and complies with the Company’s values as outlined in the Company’s Bupa Code compliance program.
- Undertakes other duties within skill set to support the needs of Legal and the Company.
The Ideal Candidate
- Law degree from a U.S. accredited law school and a member of a U.S. State Bar
- If not Florida Bar member, ability to meet the qualifications for Florida in house counsel rule within three (3) months of employment.
- Preferred 2-5 years international legal experience preferably in Latin America.
- Alternatively, preferred 2-5 years experience in insurance, reinsurance, or healthcare law.
- Both litigation and transactional experience a plus
- Bilingual in formal English and Spanish with excellent oral and written communication in both languages. Portuguese highly desirable.
- Excellent organizational, prioritizing, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to lead and work well within a team with minimal supervision; work effectively across departments.
- Exceptional relationship building, influencing, and interpersonal skills, with ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Self-starter who demonstrates commitment, flexibility, assumes ownership and accountability.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to successfully work with senior management, staff, operations, sales and business unit leaders.
- Ability to understand cultural sensitivities.
About the Company
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives.
As a leading global health and care company, we offer health insurance, medical subscription and other health and care funding products; we run care homes, retirement and care villages, primary care, diagnostic and wellness centres, hospitals and dental clinics. We also provide workplace health services, home healthcare, health assessments and long-term condition management services. We have 32M customers in 190 countries. With no shareholders, we invest our profits to provide more and better healthcare and fulfil our purpose. We employ 84,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, New Zealand and Chile, as well as Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, Thailand, and the USA.
We have grown significantly, particularly through 2013 to 2015, when we accelerated execution of our Bupa 2020 strategic vision. We are similar in revenue and profit to Marks & Spencer, and larger than Heinz in revenue. Because Bupa does not have shareholders it does not have a listing, but if it did it would be in the FTSE 100. Bupa is not a mutual or a charity but a company limited by guarantee that seeks to maximise its profits in order to fulfil its purpose. With customers in virtually every country in the world and 70% of its revenues now generated outside the UK, Bupa is a truly international organisation.
Bupa believes that the growth and performance of our leaders and our people is the single biggest pathway to fulfilling our purpose (longer, healthier, happier lives) and delivering Bupa’s 2020 goals. We have a leadership framework called “Bupa Leaders Are” which sets out what great leadership looks like at Bupa. Leaders are called upon to grow themselves, to grow others, to grow the business, and fulfil our purpose: longer, healthier, happier, lives. We are looking for individuals who are capable of delivering extraordinary business outcomes.
Bupa’s International Markets (IM) unit has 16 million customers in 190 countries across all continents around the world. It manages a portfolio of businesses, including a large international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance business called Bupa Global, as well as established domestic health insurance businesses in Hong Kong and Thailand, two associate health insurance companies in Saudi Arabia (26.25% Bupa ownership) and India (49% Bupa ownership), and Hong Kong’s largest private clinic network.
Bupa Global provides products and services worldwide to people who want access to premium health and care at home or as they study, live, travel or work abroad. We provide international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance to individuals, small businesses and global corporate customers all around the world.
Bupa Global has over 1,800 employees and has offices in London and Brighton (UK), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Hong Kong (Greater China), and Dubai (UAE), as well as in Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador. Bupa Global is currently organised around five regional hubs: Bupa Global Middle East, Africa and India; Bupa Global Greater China; Bupa Global Latin America; Bupa Global North America and Bupa Global Europe.
Timescales for reviewing applications will differ between regions, but you will always receive a response to your application. The recruitment process itself will vary per role and region, but you will be updated along the way via phone and email (so please look out for these!). To view what stage of the process your application is currently at, you can also log in and view your dashboard.
If you are invited to an interview, a member of the resourcing team will be able to advise you on what to expect. This will vary in region, but will likely include an initial phone or digital interview, followed by one or more of the following depending on the role: Core capability interview; Technical/function specific interview; Online profiling assessment; Presentation, written task, role play; Assessment centre.
If your application is successful and you’re invited to join the team, the resourcing team will guide you through your on boarding journey.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to attend an interview, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to the interview at email@example.com, so we can make adjustments accordingly.