Assistant Finance Manager
Based in Cairo, the Assistant Finance Manager is a senior member of the finance team in Egypt, participating in all finance activities but having particular responsibility for the preparation of the financial reports & statements and other regulatory filings as well as participating and handling year-end Audit engagement and preparing the required reports/documentation to meet external auditor’s/regulatory requirements. This will also involve ensuring that the local financial statements always reconcile to the local general ledger and to the UK General Ledger.
The Assistant Finance Manager will manage the daily operational Finance needs of the Bupa Egypt business including preparing monthly balance sheet reconciliations, record resulting month end closing journals, tax accounting and any related issues & outstanding tax matters, and reinsurance accounting and control.
Your individual performance will be a key contribution to the department achieving all targets for quality, productivity, compliance and regulation.
- Preparation of local financial statements and other local regulatory reporting.
- Reconciliation of financial statements to local general ledger and UK general ledger.
- Monitors movement and responsible for analysis and reconciliations between local and UK ledgers for all balance sheet accounts.
- Assist in Regulator submissions & preparation of reporting return packages to EFSA (local regulator) quarterly & at year end.
- Monitors and controls intercompany transactions, verifies accuracy and validity, and perform intercompany payments & transfers.
- Reconciles and ensures that all intercompany accounts are in balance for month /year end and that they tie to statements and confirmations received/sent.
- Prepare monthly reinsurance statements and ensure submission to reinsurer.
- Ensures that all reinsurance GL accounts reflect / tie to monthly and quarterly statements & reports and posts all journal entries related to reinsurance accounting.
- Responsible for preparation and issuing payment of Corporate Income Tax and liaising with external tax consultants.
- Responsible for tax inspection of IPT tax /Corporate Income tax / Salary tax, providing the Tax authorities with the tax calculations and samples for audit.
- Responsible for VAT registration and monthly submissions and handle communication with local tax advisor.
- Prepares estimations of all accruals for Tax and year end reporting purposes and reviews tax position.
- Assist in preparation of Solvency calculations and quarterly solvency testing.
- Performs bank accounts reconciliations for local banks accounts and monitor Counterparty limits according to policy.
- Performs analysis for monthly P&L movement trial balances.
- Prepares monthly/quarterly local balance sheet accounts reconciliations. Books reclassification & adjusting entries if deemed necessary.
- Participates in year audit engagement preparation and manages delivery of auditor’s requirements and inquiries
- Undertakes special projects and other accounting or financial duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate
- A qualified accountant with relevant post qualification experience or equivalent.
- Holding a Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or Economics from a reputable university
- An experienced accountant, with experience in the global health insurance market, or relevant transferable skills and knowledge from other financial services industries such as Life Insurance, Retail, Commercial or Banking
- Ideally ’Big 4” Practice Trained
- Strong understanding of generally accepted accounting principles pertaining to Egypt and the UK.
- Knowledge of general ledger and financial software (PeopleSoft ) helpful
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills are required with emphasis on achieving results and successful outcomes.
- Highly focused, and detailed oriented with strong organizational, time management and prioritizing skills.
- The ability to maintain good working relationships with the finance team and group functions.
- The ability to build effective working relationships with people across different cultures and environments.
- Ability to work to targets under pressure
- The job-holder should have experience of working in a highly pressurized office environment.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Applications including Excel, Word and Power Point
- Ability to work independently and with a team in a fast-paced and high volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
- Demonstrate initiative, flexibility and ability to face challenging situations.
- Demonstrating ownership and accountability.
- Fluent written and spoken skills in both English and Arabic
About the Company
Bupa’s purpose is longer, healthier, happier lives.
As a leading global health and care company, we offer health insurance, medical subscription and other health and care funding products; we run care homes, retirement and care villages, primary care, diagnostic and wellness centres, hospitals and dental clinics. We also provide workplace health services, home healthcare, health assessments and long-term condition management services. We have 32M customers globally. With no shareholders, we invest our profits to provide more and better healthcare and fulfil our purpose. We employ 84,000 people, principally in the UK, Australia, Spain, Poland, New Zealand and Chile, as well as Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, India, and the USA.
We have grown significantly, particularly through 2013 to 2015, when we accelerated execution of our strategic vision. We are similar in revenue and profit to Marks & Spencer, and larger than Heinz in revenue. Because Bupa does not have shareholders it does not have a listing, but if it did it would be in the FTSE 100. Bupa is not a mutual or a charity but a company limited by guarantee that seeks to maximise its profits in order to fulfil its purpose. With customers in virtually every country in the world and 70% of its revenues now generated outside the UK, Bupa is a truly international organisation.
Bupa believes that the growth and performance of our leaders and our people is the single biggest pathway to fulfilling our purpose (longer, healthier, happier lives) and delivering Bupa's strategic priorities. We have a leadership framework called “Bupa Leaders Are” which sets out what great leadership looks like at Bupa. Leaders are called upon to grow themselves, to grow others, to grow the business, and fulfil our purpose: longer, healthier, happier, lives. We are looking for individuals who are capable of delivering extraordinary business outcomes.
Bupa’s International Markets (IM) unit has 16 million customers across all continents around the world. It manages a portfolio of businesses, including a large international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance business called Bupa Global, as well as established domestic health insurance businesses in Hong Kong and Brazil, two associate health insurance companies in Saudi Arabia (34.25% Bupa ownership) and India (49% Bupa ownership), and Hong Kong’s largest private clinic network.
Bupa Global provides products and services worldwide to people who want access to premium health and care at home or as they study, live, travel or work abroad. We provide international health insurance, travel insurance and medical assistance to individuals, small businesses and global corporate customers all around the world.
Bupa Global has over 1,800 employees and has offices in London and Brighton (UK), Miami (USA), Copenhagen (Denmark), Hong Kong (Greater China), and Dubai (UAE), as well as in Egypt, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Bolivia, Panama, Guatemala and Ecuador. Bupa Global is currently organised around five regional hubs: Bupa Global Africa, India & Middle East; Bupa Global Greater China; Bupa Global Latin America; Bupa Global North America and Bupa Global Europe.
Timescales for reviewing applications will differ between regions, but you will always receive a response to your application. The recruitment process itself will vary per role and region, but you will be updated along the way via phone and email (so please look out for these!). To view what stage of the process your application is currently at, you can also log in and view your dashboard.
If you are invited to an interview, a member of the resourcing team will be able to advise you on what to expect. This will vary in region, but will likely include an initial phone or digital interview, followed by one or more of the following depending on the role: Core capability interview; Technical/function specific interview; Online profiling assessment; Presentation, written task, role play; Assessment centre.
If your application is successful and you’re invited to join the team, the resourcing team will guide you through your on boarding journey.
Should you require any reasonable adjustments to be made or facilities provided to enable you to attend an interview, please do not hesitate to contact us prior to the interview at email@example.com, so we can make adjustments accordingly.